Mark de Clive-Lowe & Sy Smith + Erik Rico @ Little Temple

On May 19th, LA got a funky couple of treats courtesy of Nu-Soul Magazine and Soul Union. Their event, Strictly Social (on tour in California), brought the talents of Erik Rico, Sy Smith, and Mark de Clive-Lowe to Little Temple. Let me start by saying that I had a GREAT time. I've been on Nu-Soul's email list for a minute now but haven't been able to make it out to many of their events, which is kind of crappy considering some of their past guests (Shafiq Husayn from Sa-Ra, Afta-1, Jimetta Rose). I figured Mark de Clive-Lowe was an opportunity I shouldn't pass up as the man GETS DOWN on keys and drum machines. For those who don't know Mr. Clive-Lowe, click here to watch his video on the Red Mull Music Academy. Anyways, when I get to the spot, the residents Myxzlplix & Destroyer were holdin it down w/ some head-bumpin' joints. First on was Erik Rico, who I was unfamiliar with until that point. He went on a journey (a lesson if you will) of sorts looking back on funk and soul classics through the lens of future groove. Not only was he singing his heart out, he was on the vocoder/keys, and even a guitar. I love it when performers just pick up a guitar like 'That's right, I'm about to get down,' and then proceed to do just that.




After Erik Rico, it was time for the main event. Sy Smith & Mark de Clive-Lowe make an outstanding musical pair. You couldn't help but feel good when they took the stage and started to bring their uptempo, jazzy, soulful, extra-funky future goodness. I wish I had been more familiar w/ Sy Smith before because that woman has some pipes, AND she looked extra fit up on stage. The pair shared exclusive tracks from their new project and I'll definitely be needing to cop the album if it drops on wax. My highlight of the night had to be their version of 'Messages from the Stars' by The Rah Band (peep the original if you don't know: click here). I love that track and was totally vibin' out when they got into it. After the set, Mark de Clive-Lowe continued to spin on the decks w/ his special blend of dance treats. For the life of me, I can't figure out why people started leave; it wasn't even last call, and the music was HOT. LA, you disappoint me a little. This man is from out of the country and you don't have the good sense to get your two-step on while he continues to drop science???? In any event, this night was great and I'm glad I got out to it. If you live in the LA area and are looking for something grown & sexy to do, check out WWW.NU-SOULMAG.COM. If you're in SF, go there too, you might find some artists that will be coming through the Bay.

2 comments:

Mint Collective said...

oh my gosh! what a great write up. nicely put :) xx blessings

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the love!